A farming company in Fife has been fined £20,000 after an employee became entangled in machinery inside a grain reception pit.
Heavy rain at R Todd & Company's Blacketyside Farm had caused the pit to fill with about 12 inches of water. Farmworker Peter Ednie was trying to empty the water when his foot got caught in the unsheathed part of a screw auger inside the pit and although it was switched off it had not been isolated from the power source. Mr Ednie continued to pass buckets of water to a colleague when the auger was mistakenly turned on, trapping his right foot which ultimately resulted in him having two toes amuptate.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found there was no risk assessment in relation to any activity that required employees to work inside the grain reception pit.